More River Walk and San Antonio Missions NHP

Posted by Categories: Texas
Share This On:

Last Wednesday was our last day down in the River Walk. Our morning was spent the same as the previous two days, walking a stretch of the river. We did the last main section of the River Walk…

from the top of the “T” section down towards the right hand leg of the walk, to the King William Cultural Arts District. 
We walked down this man-made section and turned left…
to the Nuevo Street Dam and Marina. This is as far as the river barges can go, and are parked overnight behind the bridge to the right.
As with the Museum Reach Extension, there are far fewer people out and about as you get further away from the shopping/dining section, making it wonderful for a good exercise walk with the dogs. 
After the Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo) was secularized in 1793, the surrounding land and fields were distributed to the Native Americans and other local peoples to cultivate. Newly arriving settlers from both the United States and Europe purchased much of this land for their homes and farms. By the late 1800’s the area became known as “Sauerkraut Bend” because of the dense German population and the curve of the river. The area thrived for about 50 years, then started to fall into disrepair. Preservation efforts begun in the 1940’s gathered momentum by the 1970’s, and today the King William area contains the city’s most lavish and elegant homes.